Well, I was wrong about the baby being born on June 11th. Here it is June 12th and he isn’t born yet. Tis okay, because I’m just officially today at 38 weeks, but this post is supposed to be about last week – week 37!
This was week was a little more exciting than last week – it was my last week of work! It feels surreal in many ways – it hasn’t fully sunk in yet. I’ll try to post more about that later, but it doesn’t feel real to me yet. (How could it? It hasn’t even been a full weekend!)
Tuesday, I went to my regular OB.
- Baby’s heartbeat was in the 130s and I was measuring on track.
- Baby was head up again (breech)! We discussed what to do and given the fact that I think he flip flops around a lot, we decided to wait to schedule a version until week 39 at which time, we’ll try to flip him, but also then immediately induce.
- Unfortunately, my OB is out of town from the end of my week 38 to the end of my week 39, making the induction scheduled really close to 40 weeks.
- The ‘downside’ to that is that if I do go into labor on my own before then, it’ll likely be a c-section. They just don’t train doctors to do a vaginal breech delivery anymore. He’s comfortable doing so, but any ‘younger’ doctors that I’d have to see since he’s out of town, wouldn’t be comfortable doing so.
- YUCK to that! Another option, if I do go into labor, breech and he’s out of town is to ask for my perinatologist – Dr. B. He normally wouldn’t be involved in my delivery, but he has seen me and he’d be comfortable with a breech vaginal delivery (assuming, of course, there aren’t any other reasons to do a c-section). So I’ll keep that card in my back pocket.
- My weight was down 6 pounds, which gave them concerns. But, in reality, I think it was just freakishly high by 6 pounds the week before and now is back to normal. They seemed to accept that.
- I’m still just dilated to a ‘2’, but now about 25th effaced instead of 20% effaced. Not much progress and again, not a sign of anything.
Wednesday, I scheduled a version.
- As I thought about it the rest of Tuesday, I didn’t like the decision to wait until week 39 to try to flip baby. I just thought the chances were too good that I’d go into labor on my own before then and I want to minimize the chances of a c-section.
- So I called my doctor and asked for a version to be scheduled earlier than that. He agreed, so one is scheduled for Monday (tomorrow), the beginning of week 38.
- There’s always the chance that we won’t be able to flip baby. There’s always a chance that baby will flip back to being breech. Heck, there’s always a chance that by Monday’s appointment, he’ll have flipped on his own and we won’t need to do one.
- But I wanted to do what I could to increase my chances of not having a c-section.
Thursday, I went to the perinatologist.
- I had a student do my ultrasound/biophysical, so it took a little longer than normal. A regular technician did some measurements too (and the perinatologist himself always looks around), but everything looked good!
- My amniotic fluids weren’t measuring high anymore (but they had only barely been high before) and we didn’t have any problems ‘catching him breathe’.
- They estimate him to be at 7 1/2 pounds – 50th percentile. Not small. Not big. Just right!
- Baby was head down now. Not fully engaged (aka: as low as he could be) and was a little off to the side, but he wasn’t breech.
- So: Tuesday’s appointment: breech. Thursday’s appointment: not breech. Flip flopping! But I’m keeping my appointment for the version on Monday.
Exciting week with lots of flip flopping! Just keep waiting – things always change!