Here we go — time for the final countdown! Except, well, I don’t know when the countdown will end. But it feels that way. Here’s when I’d normally have started going to the doctor once a week.
Except…I’m old. So I have to go twice a week. Once for the normal OB. And once for the perinatologist.
Tuesday, I went to my regular OB.
- Once again, uneventful.
- Heartbeat was in the 130s.
- Baby was head down-ish. He was a little off to the side, but still head down — just not perfectly up & down.
- I’m dilated to a ‘2’, but well, that’s not anything as you can be a ‘2’ for weeks. And weeks. And weeks. About 20% effaced. Which again, you can be for weeks.
- They took blood to test my iron levels and my platelet counts.
- My weight is up 6 pounds! 6 pounds in 2 weeks!!!! Course, this is after gaining a total of 2 pounds over like 2 months, so I guess I was due for some weight gain.
- My blood pressure is where it should be. I still have major swelling in my feet (now both instead of just the left), but it isn’t in my face or hands (my rings still fit), so it’s normal and nothing to be concerned about.
Thursday (today), I went to the perinatologist.
- This was my first time having the biophysical ultrasound. Took a little longer than the ultrasounds that I’ve had with his office – probably as long as the anatomy ultrasound that you have at 20 weeks. With this ultrasound, they were looking for specific things to get an idea of how fast/slow the placenta is aging. Looking at baby’s movement & heartbeat, placenta bloodflow, and baby’s practice breathing, and amount of amniotic fluid.
- Most everything looked good! Baby moved well, bloodflow was good and his heartbeat was good.
- They estimate size and he’s just under 7 pounds, which is at about 50th percentile. That’s great! My biggest baby so far has been 7 pounds, 7 ounces.
- It did take a while to see him “take breaths”. I had to turn on my side before they were able to catch that on ultrasound. No big deal, they said – that can happen and is hard to catch sometimes.
- One imperfect thing is that my amniotic fluid was actually high, not low. It was very borderline, just barely too high. My perinatologist wasn’t too worried about it and will keep an eye on it. Dr. Google says that can cause pre-term birth, but I’m not worried about that because I’m only 3 days away from being full-term.
- The other imperfect thing is that Baby is now breech. He wasn’t on Tuesday, but he definitely was today. There’s still time for him to turn on his own – obviously, he’s flipped in the last couple of days. So we’ll keep an eye on it, but eventually, if he stays breech, I’m looking at a c-section or trying to flip him. My normal OB will make that decision in future weeks.
- Then they hooked me up to the monitors to track heartbeats.
- All in all, the appointment took about an hour.
I’m predicting that the baby will be born on June 11th. For no other reason that my last day of work is next Friday, June 10th. It’d be good to finish work, then have the baby. That will be at 38 weeks, so that’s perfect!