Had my 12 week check up today. Pretty uneventful. My blood pressure was good. Baby’s heartbeat was strong – in the 140s.
What has been eventful:
- After my 8 week check up (and blood work), they determined that my iron levels were low. Really low.
- I was already on a prenatal with iron and a separate iron pill.
- So they increased it to add another iron pill in, but to be taken at a different time of day. And to take it with orange juice, when possible. Gotta get those levels up!
- We had an appointment with the genetic counselors at a related perinatal office last week (because of the whole “Advanced Maternal Age” thing). They did an ultrasound and everything looked great.
- The perinatologist thinks upping my iron won’t really help – that the body just can’t adequately absorb much more than I had been taking. So he ordered more extensive blood work at my 16 week appointment. He also said that his office would do my normal 20-week growth ultrasound.
So now I pop more pills and hope it takes!