(Click here to see all Remodel 2015 posts.)
Week 1 of the Remodel 2015 project has come and gone! Here’s what happened this past week:
- Monday – Not much activity other than meeting the construction team, going over plans, they measured for lumber. Dumpster was delivered.
- Tuesday – Demo Day 1! The kitchen area was tarp-ed off. Cabinets & countertops were removed. Some basement demo was done.
- Wednesday – Demo Day 2! Kitchen walls removed (except for the load-bearing wall).
- Thursday – Demo Day 3! Master Bathroom gutted, more demo in kitchen.
- Friday – Nothing much.
It’s not so bad.
- In some ways, it isn’t so bad. I wasn’t prepared for the amount of “walling” off that they had to do of the kitchen. It makes my living room much smaller once you consider that our kitchen table is also in the living room.
- Meals are going really well. I froze lots of pre-cooked meals before construction and they are serving us well!
It’s worse than I thought.
- I ain’t gonna lie: it’s rough during the day and our nanny is taking the brunt of it. Being in a much smaller space is hard for a 3 1/2 year old, a 2 year old and an almost-crawling 6 month old. What used to just be a living room with 2 couches, plenty of room to play and we had a toy room is now a living-room-with-1-couch-a-kitchen-table-and-all-the-toys-shoved-in-there.
- The distraction of men coming in and out with cool big tools is hard to overcome. The boys have been trained to not go into the tarped-off area and the workers are great at staying as invisible as possible, but it’s hard to ignore.
- The noise! It’s really loud at times. Really loud. How can it not be? They’re sawing down walls right next to you. They’re removing drywall. They’re using big air guns to shoot nails through the concrete floor in the basement. They’re cutting 2x4s. Finn, especially, is sensitive to noise and hates loud sounds. And, of course, Stephen and Sammy aren’t napping well.
It’ll get worse before it gets better.
- We’re about to lose our main big TV downstairs that Jeff uses.
- We’re a couple of days away from losing our washing machine & dryer. That’ll be rough!
Here are some pictures from this week: