So, we’re moving! Which means a whole new house to decorate! I’m excited (and overwhelmed) by that.
But, what I’m finding is that I don’t really know my home decorating philosophy. There are certain color combinations that I really like and if I think about each individual room, I think I’d end up putting the same 2 colors in each room.
But is that wise? It certainly makes painting easier – just get a lot of gallons in 1 color.
But is that fun? I like the idea of a soft gray in the living room. I like the idea of a soft gray in the hallway. I like the idea of a soft gray in the master bedroom. I like the idea of a soft gray in the powder room. That’s alot of soft gray! Wouldn’t a bright yellow laundry room be fun? Or maybe a green “play space”?
Our new house is bigger, but that’s not where my confusion lies. If it was just more square feet, that’d be one thing. Instead, it has more rooms. And more rooms = more choices.
- New house: Master Bath. Current house: No master bathroom.
- New house: Laundry Room. Current house: Washer & dryer located in an unfinished part of the basement.
- New house: Powder Room. Current house: No powder room.
- New house: Living Room and a Family Room. Current house: No Living Room.
- New house: Fireplace & a mantel. Current house: No fireplace. No mantle.
- New house: Entryway. Current house: Step inside to the house and you’re smack dab in the middle of the family room.
So, do you paint the majority of the house 1 nice, neutral color or do you ‘live on the wild side’ and paint some radical-for-my-tastes-I-think-until-I-see-it-on-the-walls in different places? One makes it seem like all the rooms belong to the same family and could be nice and peaceful. The other seems to speak to different sides of a personality or to preferences to different family members. I guess there isn’t a right or a wrong answer. Just whatever I want to do in the short-term. You can always repaint in a couple of years. Or months.