Here are pictures from the day of surgery (before and after the surgery):
1. A side profile shot
2. Front shot (the owie on his nose isn’t related to surgery, but in learning how to keep up with faster cousins)
3. Shot above the ears – you can make out a bulge where his brain was already starting to grow out.
4. In the pre-op waiting room.
5. In the play center waiting for surgery.
6. “Playing” with the masks to see if he had a preference
7. After surgery as we got to the PICU.
8. Cuddling with mom in the PICU.
9. Sleeping. No swelling that I could see. No bruising.
These are pictures from the first & second days after surgery:
1. Being held by dad.
2. Being rocked by dad. Most of the time in the PICU, he didn’t wear anything but a diaper.
3. Being held by mom. Still no real swelling that we could see.
4. With the bandages off. Kind of bloody since we weren’t able to wash his head yet. This is when we started to see some swelling start.
5. The incision, pre-cleaning.
6. The incision again.
7. Being held by mom on day 2. Still very sleepy.
8. Being held by dad.
9. On the 2nd day after surgery, starting to feel better. I tried to make him a little “fort” inside his hospital crib. He liked it a little bit.
These are days after being home. From Day 3 after surgery to almost 2 weeks post-op:
1. Side shot of the incision on day 3 after surgery.
2. Day 3 after surgery.
3. Day 3 after surgery.
4. Day 4 after surgery. This is when his swelling was the worst. His face looks puffy, but not nearly as bad as I had feared.
5. Day 5 after surgery.
6. Day 5 after surgery
7. Almost 2 weeks after surgery, from the front. The “owie” under his eye isn’t connected to surgery – just being a little boy.
8. Almost 2 weeks after surgery.
9. Almost 2 weeks after surgery, doing his new habit – the pouty face. Not sure why he does it. He does it when he’s happy, when he’s sad. When he’s walking around. When he’s just sitting. It’s his new thing, I guess.
Here are pictures from almost 3-months post-op:
Here is 5-months post-op.
Scar is hardly visible anymore since it’s faded and his hair has really grown in.