We don’t have a surgery date yet for Phinehas’s head surgery. It’s been a month since we saw the first (pediatric neuro-)surgeon and 3 weeks since we saw the second (plastic) surgeon. I tried calling the doctor’s office a couple of weeks ago and they kind of laughed at me. How dare I expect an answer this soon!?
I’ve followed up with the insurance company, just to make sure there isn’t anything we can do to speed things along. Guess what? They haven’t heard from the doctor for pre-approval.
So, I call the doctor’s office again. Turns out the reason that there’s a wait isn’t because they’re waiting for insurance approval. It’s because they’re that backed up with cases that they won’t be in a position to contact the insurance company for a month or two. (Dear insurance company…sorry for calling you…
In the meantime, we’ve sent off for a second opinion. According to our pediatrician Denver and Pittsburg are the other cities that perform this kind of surgery. But since we aren’t looking for another surgeon and just a confirmation of the diagnosis, we’ve sent a copy of his CT Scan results to Kansas City, where they have a team that can confirm the diagnosis. We wait for that too.
I found a great overview of his condition on our hospital’s website if you’re interested. It’s a quick read and very understandable.
So, if you’d like to join us in prayer, here are the specific requests that we have right now. That:
- A surgery date would be assigned soon.
- The surgery date would be before April. (My husband has 5 vacation days from work that he can use around surgery time if the surgery is in the first 3 months of the year)
- Phinehas doesn’t have any headaches or development problems from the head cramping that might be happening.
In his life, though, he’s standing up on his own for long stretches, so walking might not be too far away!
Thanks for praying!