It was time to get some pictures taken. Both of Phinehas alone and of the 3 of us as a family.
- Phinehas turned 6 months old, so it seemed a good time to take them. He was 7 weeks old during the last professional pictures we took.
- I think, in general, I want to take family pictures once a year, then at a few key milestones during the first year of a baby’s life (newborn, 6 weeks, 6 months). So it was time!
- We have plenty of pictures of him AND plenty of pictures of me with him or with Jeff with him, but not many of the 3 of us together.
- My hair is shorter now, so I wanted pictures that looked like us.
Lessons I’ve learned from today’s picture shoot:
- I made picking out coordinating outfits for 3 people way more difficult than it needed to be. I blame pinterest for that. Well, pinterest combined with my pride and insecurity. Bad combination.
- You can plan ahead for a good time of day to take pictures all you want. But that will turn out to be the day of Day Light Savings time (messing up your kid’s internal clock already) AND the day you attend church (which usually means a skipped nap or a poor nap anyway).
- Thus, the odds are very high that the time your child wants a nap is the time the photos are supposed to be taken.
- Plan ahead if you want pictures taken with the beautiful fall leaves. Good picture slots fill up fast!
- What a difference a couple of weeks make! Just in the last week or so, Phinehas can sit up on his own quite well (unless he’s startled), which drastically opens up the kinds of pictures that we can take. Many of our poses wouldn’t have been possible just a couple of weeks ago.
Last time, we just went to Portrait Innovations studio. This time, I hired a gal to take them. While we haven’t gotten the pictures back yet, I’m already feeling that was a great choice! Portrait Innovations is less expensive (but surprisingly not that much less expensive), but hiring your own comes with: outdoor pictures, more poses, copyrights to order any picture in any size and in any quantity. So far, I’m very happy with our choice!