This recipe looked intringing, so I wanted to try it. I thought they could be a good “take-these-to-work-or-a-party” kind of treat. Once I tasted it, I thought they were good – a very different kind of rice krispie treat. Jeff, on the other hand, LOVED them. He thought they tasted like Cherry Bings, which he can’t find anywhere. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Cherry Bing, so I couldn’t tell you if they do or not. Because of that, he’s started calling them Bing Bars instead of Dark Chocolate Cherry Rice Krispie Bars…his name is better, so I’m using it. They are tasty!
The Cherry flavor comes from Jell-O powder. Which is nice because if you ever wanted to make another flavor, you totally could. But I do think Dark Chocolate and Cherry make a wonderful combination!
Cherry Bing Bars
As found on and adapted from Shugary Sweets
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1o ounces marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 1/2 tablespoons Cherry Jell-o
8 ounces dark chocolate
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and Cherry Jell-o and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add in cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 inch pan coated with cooking spray.
4. In microwave, melt chocolate.
5. Spread chocolate over the Rice Krispie treats.
6. Allow to set for at least an hour. I found it helpful to cool them in the refrigerator.
7. Cut into squares. Enjoy!