What: Camping Date!
When: Saturday, February 12, 2011
Who: Jeff & Jayme
These days, it seems that we get to the weekend and say to each other: “Do we have anything going on this weekend?” “No.” “Good!” By the time the weekend hits, we’re just ready to stay home. But spending time together is still important. So, a date at home was in order. I called it a camping date. I sent him an electronic invite stating such.
Don’t know why I called it a camping date. Those of you that are real campers will quickly see that it didn’t resemble camping in the least. First of all, Jeff & I aren’t campers. Second, its February. In Omaha. Third, we aren’t campers.
But I made it as “camping”-ish as I wanted to.
- I laid out the blow up mattress that if we were campers, we’d use instead of sleeping on the hard ground.
- I bought those glow-in-dark stars and put them over the living room. After all, what good is camping if you can’t look at the stars? (Note: they don’t stick to popcorn ceilings. Duly noted. Now I know…)
- We dined on Hobo Dinners (made in the oven instead of over a campfire).
- I packed a cooler of goodies – bottles of pop, chips, silverware. The essentials you’d need.
- We played Backgammon, a game I first learned from the Schmidts when I went camping with them for the first time in 7th grade.
- Instead of a campfire, we watched Fireproof. (Hey, it had fire in the title…close enough!)
- I had dessert ready and packed in the cooler. So what if they were heart-shaped strawberry cakes instead of smores? It’s Valentine’s Day!
Over all, a good night! We didn’t need to have theme, but it did make it a little more fun. For me, anyway. Plus, it gives Jeff practice at humoring his wife. I like to give him lots of practice at that!