My nephew, Cooper turns 4 today, so my sister had a party for him last night. It’s hard to believe that he’s 4! 4 is such a fun age – he asks questions, starting to go to pre-school a couple of mornings a week (which he says he doesn’t really like), is deeply devoted to his stuffed animal puppies, runs to greet Grammy and generally takes good care of his sister, Camry.
For this birthday, I didn’t know what to get him. The Height Board wasn’t a great birthday present for a 4-year old. It lacks that “play with for hours” quality. My sister had the great idea of giving him my old dog kennel. A few years ago, I used to have a Yorkie named Annie. Her life and Cooper’s overlapped briefly. Annie had a little travel kennel that I’d keep her in at times. Tiffany suggested that I clean it up and give that to Cooper for his puppies. So I did. I cleaned and cleaned. I bleached it. I 409-ed it. I put a bow on it and that’s what I gave him. His puppies now have a home! Makes me wish I had kept my old doggy bed for him to use. When I gave it to him last night, he didn’t quite know what it was, so I told him it was for his puppies. “For my puppies to sleep in?” Yes, I said. “I will go get a blanket!” And then he put his puppies to bed. When I wanted to get a picture of him with his puppies in the kennel, he told me he couldn’t because the puppies were sleeping.
I thought about some of the moments I’ve had with him over the years.
- Babysitting him when he was an infant. I’d lay him down on a blanket and Annie would curl up next to him. They were about the same size. (Maybe that’s where he got his love of dogs!)
- When he was a little older, I’d put on Alvin & the Chipmunks Adventure and we’d dance to the music. He’d hold onto the couch and bounce up and down. That was his version of dancing.
- Babysitting him when he was 2 and hated taking naps. I’d tell him it was nap time and he’d say “no, no, no” while following me down the hall to his room. Even though he didn’t want nap time, he was still obedient. He has great parents!
- He and I sitting at Grammy’s house, looking at the pictures I had stored on my laptop. Pointing out people – Mommy, Daddy, Poppa Bill, Grammy, Camry, Kyle.
- Him coming over to Grammy’s house so that he can go swimming. At some point, he learned that mom’s spa tub is a swimming pool. He loved it!
He’s precious to me and I wish him a Happy Birthday! (And stop getting older please!)